Youth STEMM Award
The YSA online services Privacy Statement
The Youth STEMM Award (YSA) sees the protection and appropriate treatment of personal information as a vital component of an effective online presence.
We do our best to ensure that our websites are secure so that your confidentiality is maintained. We adhere to the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998, which gives you control over the information stored about you and how we contact you in the future for promotional offers from our partners.
This statement explains how we achieve these goals and gives details of our privacy practices, including what information we collect about people using our website and other online services, how the information will be used or disclosed, and rights with respect to our collection and use of personal data.
By using our online services you are accepting the practices described in this Privacy Statement.
Why we collect personal information
There are two types of information you provide us with when using our online services: personal information provided when completing personal information fields, and information collected by us as you interact with our services. We do not collect your email address unless you freely provide this to us. We collect your personal information because it helps us to support our participants and schools achieve their Awards and create collaborative networks and relationships. It enables us to give convenient access to our online services and support mechanisms. In addition, personal information helps us to continue to develop and improve the way the YSA functions, and to shape the support we provide.
What Information does the YSA collect and why?
Essentially, the information is used to provide you with the service you have requested or to answer an enquiry. We may ask you to provide us with personal information on a voluntary basis in certain areas of our online services. This information will be used for the purposes outlined at the time of collection. In particular, you may be asked to provide the following information:
- Website: Name, address and contact details to enable us to fulfil any enquiry or request for support.
- YSA e-portfolio: In order to use the online management system offered by the YSA you will need to provide personal information including, but not limited to, personal details, contact details (including a valid email address) and, for young people, detailed information about your progress in the Award. Providing this information saves you time and allows for easier use of our services. If you are using the e-portfolio, you will have an account created for you using your email by an authorised person within your own institution or the YSA. On your first sign in you will activate your personal profile by creating a secure password to your new account. Upon logging in, you can enter your personal details by clicking the ‘edit profile’ button in the navigation bar. The system saves your information and you can begin the steps to achieving your award. The next time you log in to the e-portfolio all you need to do is enter your email and password and you will be taken to your personal dashboard and you can pick up where you left off. We keep records of your activity to help us understand how you use the system so that we can make it a more effective tool for you. You can update your password at any time by clicking the ‘forgot your password’ button on the login page. Information on ethnicity, disability and personal circumstances are collected and used anonymously for statistical purposes by the YSA in order to make sure we are making the YSA programme accessible to all, and used locally to help meet your personal needs.
- Communicating with you: The YSA e-newsletters, magazine and other operational emails are essential communications containing vital updates and useful programme information, so all participants and coordinators will receive those appropriate to their roles.
- If you are unhappy with your experience with any part of the YSA or wish to provide feedback on the Award you may do so by contacting us through our website.
How is information collected online used by the YSA?
All contact from the YSA using personal data will communicate useful and relevant information to either help participants complete the Award, School Coordinators support the participants, or the YSA to improve its services.
We may therefore use this personal data for the following purposes:
- To send you information about the Award and any changes to the website or e-portfolio
- To send you information about the YSA and promotional material about our products and services.
- To monitor interest in our range of products and services and to assist us in tailoring the content of the website and e-portfolio to our online visitors’ needs by collecting information about your preferences through tracking patterns of page-viewing, downloads and uploads.
Does the Youth STEMM Award disclose information that it collects from these sites to other parties?
The YSA will not provide any information collected from the YSA website or e-portfolio that personally identifies you to any other company or organisation, unless it is required to do so by law, Court Order by other Government or law enforcement authorities or as described in this Policy Statement.
Data collected on the e-portfolio is shared with the relevant institution and coordinator(s), as a necessity to enable young people to achieve their Award and for coordinators to manage their participants effectively. Participant personal information is never shared with other participants.
The Youth STEMM Awards and e-portfolio use ‘cookies’ exclusively to enable users to log in and use their account. Please note that disabling ‘cookies’ on your browser will stop the website from working correctly. For further information about cookies, please visit http://ec.europa.eu/ipg/basics/legal/cookies/index_en.htm
- Your rights: Please be aware that the receipt of all Award emails and information is compulsory for all participants undertaking the Award and for all coordinators running the Award. This is to ensure everyone is getting consistent information at the same time.
- Access and correction: You have a right to know about the personal information that the YSA holds about you and to receive a copy of that information provided upon request. You also have a right to correct, amend or delete the information that the YSA holds about you if it is incorrect. If you wish to exercise these rights please contact us by post or email at the address shown in the ‘Contact’ section. Within the e-portfolio you can view these details at any time by signing in with your email address and password. On payment of a fee of £10.00 we will send you a copy of all the personal data held about you. Please apply in writing to: The Data Controller, Youth STEMM Award CIC, John Innes Centre, Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UH.
We take all reasonable safeguards to keep all your personal information as secure as is humanly possible. In addition to a rigorously enforced data handling policy, all our staff members are made aware of their obligations to keep the information for authorised use only. Of course no technology is fail-safe, but we have made every reasonable effort to keep our systems up to date with the relevant protocols.
The Award is open to 14 to 19 year olds. Some 13 year olds are able to start the programme with their peers. YSA does not knowingly solicit information from any child under the age of 13. Should a child whom we know to be under 13 send personal information to us, we will use that information only to respond directly to that child to inform him or her that we must have parental consent before receiving his or her personal information. We recommend that the children over the age of 13 and up to the age of 16 ask their parents’ permission before sending any information about themselves to anyone over the internet. All under 16s are required to obtain parental consent on YSA enrolment forms before they are set up on the YSA e-portfolio. These forms need to be signed by the parent or guardians of any child under the age of 16 who has their photograph taken for use by the YSA. Anyone over the age of 16 is also asked to sign one of these forms to authorise us to use their photographs to broaden the reach of the YSA.
We may need to update or modify this privacy statement at any time, and modifications are effective upon being posted on the YSA website and in any other online services. You are responsible for reviewing this privacy statement periodically to ensure that you are aware of any changes to it.
Contacting the Youth STEMM Award
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, the privacy practices of the YSA or if you want to exercise any of the rights that you are given under this Privacy Statement you can contact:
Post: Youth STEMM Award, John Innes Centre, Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UH
Although every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the information on this website is accurate at the time of publication, visitors who use this website and rely on any information do so at their own risk. The Youth STEMM Award does not warrant its accuracy and disclaims any liability to any third party anywhere in the world for any injury, damage, loss or inconvenience arising as a consequence of any use of or the inability to use any information on this website to the fullest extent permitted at law.